Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pumpkin Smoothies

Today Dave and I competed in a triathlon up in Burley, ID. We did this one as a team. Originally it was supposed to be Dave swimming, me biking, and my dad running, but my dad got hurt, so Dave swam & biked, and I ran. We actually did really well and ended up placing second in our division and third overall in the combined teams. 
Dave and I with our Spuds! 

Dave really pushed it on the bike, so much that he almost passed out when he finished. I'm so proud of him - he did AWESOME!! All I had to do was run a 10k (although I did run 3 more miles after) he swam a mile first and then biked 25 miles. No way I could that. Sure I can run and run for a long time, but I'm awful at swimming. If I did try to swim I'd be so tired from my inefficient technique that I'd have nothing left in the tank to do the bike & run. I have so much respect t for triathletes. I've done a duathlon and that was hard, so I can't imagine how the body feels swimming first. I'd still love to do a tri and eventually an iron man, but that's years down the road when we our kids are grown up & I have more time to train. So in the meantime, ill stick to my running :)
Anyway back to these delicious smoothies. When we got home later that afternoon we decided to grill which meant I didn't have to do any cooking. That's one thing I love about summer.  Don't get me wrong, I love to cook, but lately I've been so busy, that I've barely had time to do anything, so having the option to grill is great, not to mention tasty. Who doesn't love grilled chicken, steak, vegetables, pineapple, etc. ?? Exactly - you love it.  
After we finished eating & put jaedyn to bed, I asked Dave if he wanted anything sweet. Shoot I figured we'd earned it today - not that you need to to have dessert.. Just sayin 
Dave of course said he did and said he was craving a pumpkin smoothie. Its one that I've made a few times and we both have loved. It's like eating pumpkin pie without the crust. It's really easy too. Just need a frozen banana, pumpkin, almond milk, maple syrup, and spices. Throw that plus some ice in the blender and voilĂ   - a delicious pumpkin smoothie. 
Topped off with some coconut whipped cream. Enjoy! :) 
Pumpkin Smoothie
       ½ cup pure organic pumpkin
       1 cup unsweetened almond milk
       ½ frozen banana
       ½ tablespoons maple syrup (or Raw honey)
       ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
       ¼ teaspoon cinnamon (+ a bit extra more to sprinkle on top)
       1/8 teaspoon ginger
       1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
       1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
       1/8 teaspoon allspice
       1/2 cup (or more…depending on how smoothie-like you like your drink) of ice
 
This serves 1, so I doubled it for Dave & myself 
Steps for Smoothie:
  1. Plug in your blender and blend all ingredients together until you get a smooth smoothie ;) .
  2. Pour in a glass and top with Paleo Whipp (see instructions below) and a bit of cinnamon.
Paleo Whipp
      1 can full fat coconut milk
       1 teaspoon vanilla extract
       2-4 packets of Truvia (stevia extract)
Steps for Whipp:

Place mixing bowl and can of coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight.
Once coconut milk and bowl have been chilling for 24 hours, open can and pour milk and stevia into the cold bowl. Using your hand mixer, mix these two ingredients together (for around 25 seconds).
Add in vanilla extract and mix for another 25 seconds.
Whipp is complete!
Use Whipp right away, or store in a mason jar in the fridge for later use.
 * Serves 20

Recipe is from
http://www.amazingpaleo.com/2012/11/16/
paleo-pumpkin-smoothie/

No comments:

Post a Comment