Thursday, July 18, 2013

Turkey sliders with an avocado slaw



Normally Tuesdays are crock pot days because I go down to my moms. Well the original meal I had planned for on Monday didnt happen because I went from work, to grocery shopping, to soccer practice - literally - so I had no time to make dinner. My only problem was that I had unthawed a pound of ground turkey, so I knew I needed to use it Tuesday. Part of me thought about finding a crock pot recipe for turkey, but decided against it because I had bought everything else to make my sliders & slaw and didnt want the fresh stuff to go to waste while we are out of town. This just meant I needed to leave my parents house by 3 so I could prep everything, go to spin class, and then come home & make it all. Well that's just what I did, except Dave beat me home, so he started on the sliders, while I fed Jaedyn & made the slaw. Im so thankful for my wonderful husband who is willing to help me out and not complain. Thankfully everything turned out wonderfully & he loved it because we didn't end up eating dinner until 7:45 that night. Oops. Oh well, guess that means just no time for dessert ;) 
This recipe, especially the slaw, is SUPER tasty & will definitely made again. My only complaint is that the slaw turns brown overnight & it's hard for me to finish off because of the color. It still tasted fine the next day, it's just hard for me to eat something brown in color. I added a few things & also exchanged things because its all I had. So if you want the original recipe, visit her website :) 

Turkey sliders with an avocado slaw 
Ingredients
For the burgers
  • 1lb ground turkey
  • ¼ red onion, minced
  • ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
  • ½ jalapeƱo pepper, diced
  • ½ orange bell pepper, diced
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
  • salt and pepper, to taste
For the slaw
  • 1 small head of cabbage or bag of cabbage, chopped
  • 2 avocados
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon lime juice
  • ½ teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 garlic cloves minced 
  • Little bit of diced red onion
  • ½ heaping teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions
First make your burgers
  1. Add all your ingredients for your burgers in a large bowl.
  2. Shape small burger patties.
  3. Heat up a large skillet under medium heat and add your sliders. Flip after about 3-5 minutes or when you see the sides of your sliders begin to turn a white color (meaning they are cooking through).
Now make your slaw
  1. Pull out your handy dandy food processor, add all your ingredients for the slaw other than the cabbage and pulse until smooth.
  2. Pour your avocado “mayo” on the cabbage and mix. Top off with a bit of salt and pepper.
  3. Place your cabbage on a plate and top off with your sliders!
  4. Consume!
Recipe is from
http://paleomg.com/southwest-turkey-sliders-spicy-avocado-slaw/

No comments:

Post a Comment