Monday, August 5, 2013

Turkey bacon meatloaf with cauliflower mash & caramelized onion gravy


This dinner is super easy & super tasty. I prepared the loaf early afternoon, so all I had to do was throw it in the oven. On the blog I got this recipe off of, she served this with cauliflower mashed "potatoes" & a carmelized onion gravy. I decided that that sounded good along with some fresh green beans. If you haven't guessed yet, green beans are one of my favorite veggies. I think I could eat that & all different kinds of squash all day long if my body let me. Unfortunately, if I eat too much (and i mean A LOT), I get bloated, and well that just is no fun. 
I've made cauliflower mashed potatoes before but it was mixed with some potatoes, so I was excited to see how these turned out. I'm really loving all the different ways you can use cauliflower. My only complaint is how messy it is. Maybe it's just me, but any time I chop/rice/grate cauliflower, little pieces go everywhere and it's just a pain to clean up. That's actually what stops me from doing more cooking/baking in general; well that and having a baby to take care of. I just hate cleaning up everything!! Ha! 
Anyway back to dinner. Everything turned out AMAZING! My favorite was the cauliflower potatoes. The flavor was spot on. The meatloaf was good too, but it wasn't as amazing as the cauliflower. Dave loved it all and that's all that matters 😀 the only thing I'd change next time, is I'd cook the bacon before adding it to the meat mixture. 
Turkey Bacon Meatloaf 
Ingredients
  • 1½ lbs ground turkey
  • 8 oz bacon, chopped 
  • 1½ cups finely shredded carrots
  • ½ cup finely shredded celery
  • 1 cup finely chopped sweet onions
  • ¼ cup almond flour
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 tbsp freshly ground black pepper

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375F.
  2. Combine all ingredients and place in a loaf pan.
  3. Bake for 60-65 minutes.
Recipe is from: http://paleofoodiekitchen.com/2013/04/baco
n-turkey-meatloaf/

Cauliflower Mash 
Ingredients
  • 1 large cauliflower head
  • ½ cup full fat coconut milk
  • 4 tbsp ghee (or grass fed butter)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Instructions
  1. Steam cauliflower until soft.
  2. Place in the food processor and add the rest of the ingredients.
  3. Pulse until smooth and creamy.
Recipe is fromhttp://paleofoodiekitchen.com/2013/04
/cauliflower-mash/

Caramelized Onion Gravy
Ingredients
  • 2 large onions, finely sliced
  • 3 tbsp ghee (or grass fed butter)
  • ½ cup bone broth
  • ¼ cup full fat coconut milk
  • freshly ground black pepper

Instructions
  1. Cook sliced onions and ghee over low heat until onions are caramelized to a rich brown color.
  2. Add bone broth and simmer.
  3. Remove from heat and place it in a blender, add coconut milk and ground black pepper. Pulse until smooth.
The start of the browning process. Takes forever to get them to caramelize but its definitely worth the wait. 

Recipe is fromhttp://paleofoodiekitchen.com/2013/04/
caramelized-onion-gravy/




No comments:

Post a Comment