Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Apple Roasted chicken sausage, sweet potato, peppers, onion, and mushroom

Wow... That's a mouth full. I'm not sure what you would want to call it though. Yesterday at Costco I saw some chicken sausage and decided i should get some since i wanted some to use in our hobo dinners for our next camping trip. Just as I was about to get the sweet Italian, I saw the apple chicken & thought to myself - apples and sweet potatoes go well together, why not get these & experiment with a recipe I'd done before. So that's what I did. I've made this recipe from skinnytaste before and both Dave & I loved it. I knew I wanted to change it up a bit since I was using apple chicken & sweet potatoes, so I went with what I know is good with sweet potatoes - spicy & sweet :) 
I think it turned out really good. I just need to make sure to have less ingredients in my mixing bowl, so the spices get distributed evenly. I also want to do half chipotle chili powder & half regular next time for some more spice. :) 
Hope you enjoy!
Ingredients
2 medium sized sweet potatoes (roughly 2lbs) peeled & cut into chunks
3 peppers of choice; cut into chunks (I used 1 red, 1 orange, and 1 yellow) 
1 large yellow onion, quartered
4oz (roughly - I'd do more next time) sliced portobello mushrooms
5 apple chicken sausage links (I'd add 2 more next time)
1 heaping tsp garlic powder
1 heaping tsp chili powder 
1 heaping tsp cinnamon 
2 tsp dried rosemary 
Salt & pepper to taste
Misto spray

Directions: preheat your oven to 375.  Cut up all your vegetables and toss into a bowl. Next spray or drizzle them with olive oil. Toss around with hands until the veggies are well coated. Next add all you your spices and again toss with your hands until it is evenly distributed. Finally add in your sausage & stir around. Place your sausage & veggie mixture on a cookie sheet and make sure that they are spread out and not sitting on top of each other. I had to use two cookie sheets because I had so much :) 
Put in the oven for 15 minutes and then pull out & toss them around.  Place them back in the oven for about another 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.  Cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of your potatoes and sausage, keep an eye so they don't burn.
I served mine with a side of fresh steamed green beans. 

Recipe is inspired fromhttp://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/roasted-potatoes-chicken-sausage-and.html?m=1

No comments:

Post a Comment