Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Loaded turkey stuffed twice baked sweet potatoes

Say what??? That sure is a mouth full. Basically it's like a twice baked potato, but this is so much better & healthier :) this dinner was on Wednesday night & normally on Wednesdays I have my little girls team, but I am co coaching with a girl because there is no way I can balance being a wife, working mom, and my own personal time if I did this little team by myself. I wish some days there was more time in the day for me to do stuff like that, but there's not, so I do what I can, when I can, and well today was one of those days that I didn't stop going once the alarm went off at 5. We are headed out of town this weekend for Daves next Xterra, so not only did I need to get laundry going and finished, I needed to start prepping our snacks & meals for it - we tent camp at these, so I have to plan all the meals for the days we are gone. By the time I got home from running around I only had an hour before practice was supposed to start, so I decided to stay home to get things finished and let Jaedyn roll/crawl around since the poor thing had been in her car seat all day. 
Thankfully for me, she is a good baby & is such a trooper, I'm able to do a lot still.  I was craving my turkey mixture that I love to make, but needed to put it with something. The meat has cinnamon on it as well as other spices, and so I thought cinnamon goes on sweet potatoes, why not make a baked potato. I almost was going to attempt creating my own recipe, but then stumbled across this recipe and decided to follow it instead. It definitely did not disappoint AT ALL!! It had great flavor with a little hint of sweet (my add on) followed by a kick of heat. I love spicy things, however, my acid reflux on the other hand does not. I still make spicy things, I just have to be careful not to overdo. :) As the meat was browning, I decided i needed a veggie side dish to go with.  I knew i had some squash, zucchini, mushrooms, and a red onion in the fridge, but decided instead of sautéing my favorite veggie mixture, I'd roast them.  :) I actually found a recipe by rachael ray - I was just trying to figure out cooking temperature & time when i stumbled upon her recipe. I love how that happens to me :) 
you may be thinking how are you going to roast veggies when you are already using your oven for the potatoes? Well see i knew the potatoes had to go back in the oven to cook for a second but only for 3-5 minutes, which would give the veggies just enough time to cool. So that's what I did. Got my veggies ready then once the potatoes came out the first time, I put the veggies in, and then while those were baking, I stuffed my potatoes, and finally after the veggies came out, put the potatoes in one more time and 5 minutes later dinner was ready :) 

Ingredients
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 2 large sweet potatoes (I had extra stuff so I made a small one too)
  • ¼ cup Red Hot hot sauce (or another kind you like)
  • 1 tablespoon fat (I used duck fat)
  • 1 yellow onion, diced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon (my addition)
  • 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • ½ teaspoon paprika
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions
  1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Cut your sweet potatoes in half, lengthwise and put them face down on a cookie sheet. Put in the oven to cook for about 25-30 minutes depending how thick they are. You will know when they are done if they are easy to push on, on the skin side. If you pull them out early and the inside doesn’t come out easily with a spoon, you’ll need to cook them a bit longer.
  3. While your sweet potatoes cook, put out a pot or skillet over medium-high heat. Add a bit of fat to the hot pan then add your garlic and onions to start cooking down.
  4. Once the onions are translucent, add the ground turkey and use a large spoon to break it up to help cook it a bit quicker.
  5. When the turkey is half way done cooking, add the spices. Let the turkey cook until no longer pink or until completely cooked through, take off heat.
  6. Now pull your sweet potatoes out of the oven and use a large spoon to scoop out the insides. Be careful to not go totally to the skin or it may tear and be pointless to add meat to.
  7. Put the insides of the sweet potatoes directly into your pan of turkey and mix thoroughly to combine.
  8. Now scoop out the new mixture and put into your sweet potato skins. You can go as high as you want. Think of it as a loaded bake potato…load that sh*t on!!
  9. Now put those loaded sweet potatoes back on the cookie sheet, face up, back into the oven and cook for 3-5 more minutes just to meld the flavors together and harden the top a bit
  10. Enjoy!

Ingredients 
1 medium zucchini, cut into chunks
1 medium yellow squash, cut into chunks
1 medium onion, halved then cut into chunks
1/2 pound button mushrooms, quartered or halved
1 tablespoon olive oil or cocunut oil
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Combine zucchini and yellow squash pieces with onions and mushrooms in a mixing bowl. Add oil to the bowl, 2 turns of the bowl in a slow stream. Toss veggies until they are coated lightly and evenly with the oil.
Combine poultry seasoning with salt and pepper and sprinkle evenly over the vegetables. Toss them again to combine and spread them out on to a baking sheet. Place veggies in a hot oven and roast 20 to 25 minutes until tender. Toss and turn the veggies with kitchen tongs half way through cooking 

Recipe is from: 

No comments:

Post a Comment