Monday, June 17, 2013

Fathers Day Breakfast

Again I've gone about a week without a post and there are a few reasons for that. One, it's been really nice out, so we've been grilling a lot.  Then secondly Dave went out of town last week and since we had so many left overs, there wasn't really a need to do much cooking.  So thus the pause in posts, but I promise to post as much as I can this week. It's a busy week & we are going out of town again for another one of Dave's Xterras but ill do my best to post what I make :) 
Anyway for Father's Day I really wanted to make it a special day for Dave as he does so much for our family - plus he was in a tiny town in North Dakota last week where the food was basically pre made frozen stuff ...blah! If any of you know me, I'm a food blog junkie. I check probably around 15-20 food blogs a day, trying to find new things to make. Well awhile back I had seen this strawberry rhubarb baked oatmeal recipe & I knew that I would save that recipe to make for Father's Day because that is one of Dave's favorites - baked oatmeal and strawberry-rhubarb.  However, there is really no protein with that and knew we needed something that was protein dense and was more then just your plain old scrambled eggs.  I thought an egg muffin would be fun and thus the food blog hunting began. I finally stumbled upon this prosciutto wrapped egg muffin. Not only did I think it sounded tasty & looked fun, I also just so happened to have prosciutto in the fridge that my mom had given to me. Yay! Score for me. 
Dave had to lead worship yesterday, which meant he would leave the house at 7 and would need to have breakfast around 6:30. I knew that meant I'd have to get up early, but my man is totally Roth getting up early for :) To help make things go a little faster, I prepped everything the night before, so I could just mix it together & throw it in the oven. Since the baked oatmeal was the easiest to make and required the longest time to bake, I did that one first. Once I got that in the oven, I started on the egg muffins. They took a little longer to make because the sautéed mushrooms and onions had to cool before combining with the eggs - a...duh me, hot veggies with uncooked eggs will scramble them. Ha! Anyway. I actually finished up the eggs just before the timer went off for the baked oatmeal & hurried and got the muffins in so everything would be ready before Dave had to leave. While waiting for the eggs to finish up, I made the coffee, pulled out the heart plate :) and coffee cup I had made Dave a year ago, and finished cleaning up the dishes as the eggs finished up. I tried to cut his oatmeal into a heart shape, but the bottom was a little too gooey so it fell apart as I tried to serve it. Oh well...it's the thought that counts :) 
I sampled the oatmeal as I was waiting for Dave to eat and boy was it ever tasty! It was more like a desert then a breakfast food, but either way it was yummy. I grabbed a muffin and hurried and ate that before I had to go feed Jaedyn. And again...it was another winner! So happy that both things turned out and that Dave agreed as well. Hope you give these a try sometime, you won't be disappointed!!!

STRAWBERRY-RHUBARB BAKED OATMEAL 
  • 2 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
  • 3/4 cup rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 medium ripe banana, sliced thin
  • 1 tbsp arrowroot 
  • 1/3 cup honey
For the Oats:
  • 1 cup uncooked gluten free quick oats 
  • 1/3 cup slivered almonds
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 3/4 cup almond milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Directions
Preheat the oven to 375° F.  Lightly spray a 9 x 9" ceramic baking dish with cooking spray; place banana slices on the bottom of the baking dish and set aside. Combine the strawberries and rhubarb in a large bowl. Add honey, sprinkle with cornstarch and toss until fruit is well coated and place in prepared baking dish over the bananas.
In a medium bowl, combine the oats, half of almonds, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt; stir together.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining honey, milk, egg, and vanilla extract, then add to the oats.
Pour the oat mixture over the strawberries and rhubarb, making sure to distribute the mixture evenly.  Sprinkle the remaining almonds over the the top.
Bake the oatmeal for about 40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the oatmeal has set. Serve warm from the oven.

Recipe is from: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/05/strawberry-rhubarb-baked-oatmeal.html

PROSCIUTTO WRAPPED MINI FRITTATA MUFFINS 

  • 4 tablespoons coconut oil
  • ½ medium onion, finely diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • ½ pound of cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • ½ pound frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
  • 8 large eggs
  • ¼ cup coconut milk (the fatty stuff at the top of the can works best)
  • 2 tablespoons of coconut flour 
  • 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 5 ounces of Prosciutto di Parma
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • A regular 12 cup muffin tin

Directions

preheat the oven to 375°F and prep your veggies. Heat half the coconut oil over medium heat in a large cast iron skillet and sauté the onions until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook them until the mushroom moisture has evaporated. Then, season the filling with salt and pepper and spoon it on a plate to cool to room temperature.

For the batter, beat the eggs in a large bowl with coconut milk, coconut flour, salt, and pepper until well-mixed. Then, add the sautéed mushrooms and spinach and stir to combine. Brush the remainder of the melted coconut oil onto the muffin tin and line each cup with prosciutto, taking care to cover the bottom and sides completely. Spoon the frittata batter and top each muffin with some halved cherry tomatoes. Pop the muffins in the oven for about 20 minutes, flipping the tray at the halfway point. Remove from oven & let them cool slightly before serving. Enjoy! 


Recipe is from: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/7486819479/prosciutto-wrapped-mini-frittata-muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment