Thursday, June 27, 2013

Chipotle barbacoa tacos

Tacos...yummy!! I just love tacos. Funny thing is, as a kid, I hated them. Whenever we would go to a mexican restaurants, id just or a cheese quesadilla that was just the tortilla & cheese, but sometimes they didn't have that, so I'd just eat nachos. What a healthy eater I was - ha!  Anyway.. A few years ago my palate started growing & I really started loving tacos; well actually I loved all the ingredients of tacos on a salad with the shell crunched on the top. :) So you will probably notice a lot of posts on my blog that deal with some type of shredded meat. What can I say - I love my salads :) 
Back to these delicious barbacoa tacos. We were having a friend over for dinner as well as my parents, so I doubled the recipe just to make sure we had plenty and enough for leftovers. I know some people don't like leftovers, but with a baby, it makes lunches that much easier for me. I was in a hurry this day because I had baby food to make, laundry to do, errands to run, get a workout in, plus make the tortillas and a dessert. 

You know how they always say, read the whole recipe before you start, well DO IT! I somehow always forget this step and end up having to frantically try & fix things because I missed a crucial step. Today's recipe was one of those days. I thought I'd read everything carefully, but obviously I didn't because once you cut the fat off the meat and mixed all the sauce ingredients in a desperate bowl - it says to purée it and then put it in the crockpot. Well I just dumped everything in & set my timer for low. After I finished cleaning up the prep, I went back through the directions to see what all I needed to do next and thats when I read over the entire step 2 and saw that somehow I missed the last part of it. Too late now though, but before I panicked I decided once the meat was done, Id dump the sauce into my blender (taking out the bay leaves & as many cloves as I could find) and purée it, then stick it in with the now shredded pork then turn it on to low again & hope that those flavors would infuse into the pork. I'm not sure if this step would've changed my flavors or not because I don't know that much about cooking, but either way it turned out super tasty. Once I got the pork shredded and sauce puréed & back into the crockpot, I started on my tortillas. I've made ones like these a couple times now, but every time, it takes me at least the first 3 or 4 until I do it right. I always seem to pour too much batter or get too impatient & try and flip it to early and thus break them. Thankfully there was enough batter to make at least 12 of them, so my guests could have good ones & id just eat the broken ones. While I was working on the tortillas, my mom got started on our desert - a shortcake bread to eat with strawberries, blueberries, and some truwhip. The shortcake was an easy recipe - mix dry ingredients, cut in the butter, then add the wet, and then bake them. I wanted something easy & light for a hot day. All together this dinner was a winner. We had steamed green beans & watermelon on the side. Hope you try these out. Definitely will make all three again :) 

Chipotle Barbacoa Tacos
Ingredients
  • 3 pound center cut shoulder roast
  • 3 to 5 large dried chipotle peppers, seeds removed
  • ½ yellow onion
  • ¼ cup lime juice
  • ¼ cup tomato paste
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 1½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • ¾ cup beef or chicken stock
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon whole cloves

Instructions
  1. Cut the roast into two pieces and trim any fat. Place in the pot of a slow cooker.
  2. Combine the chipotle peppers, onion, lime juice, tomato paste, garlic, vinegar, cumin, salt, and oregano in a food processor. Process until smooth.
  3. Pour over the roast and add the stock, bay leaves, and cloves.
  4. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
  5. Remove the beef and shred with two forks. Return the meat to the slow cooker and continue cooking for 1 to 2 hours, until really tender.
  6. Serve with your choice of toppings. We like avocado, tomato, red pepper, lettuce, cilantro, and red onions.

I totally forgot to take a picture the day of, so this is a leftover taco with only avocado. 
Recipe is fromhttp://www.againstallgrain.com/2013/06/14/chipotle-barbacoa-tacos/

Tortillas
  • 6 egg whites or about ¾ cup
  • 3½ tablespoons coconut flour
  • 4 tablespoons almond milk
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • ½ teaspoon ground cumin
  • ½ teaspoon chili powder
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
DIRECTIONS
  1. Mix all of the tortilla ingredients in a small bowl. Let the batter sit for 10 minutes so the coconut flour can soak up some of the moisture, and then whisk again. The batter should be runnier than that of pancakes, about the same as a crepe batter.
  2. Heat a cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium high heat and spray with olive oil or melted butter. Pour the batter into the pan in a circular motion, making the tortilla about the size of a pancake. Give the pan a little turn with your wrist a few times to help the batter spread out evenly and into a thin layer. Keeping the tortillas thin and small helps to make sure the egg taste doesn’t overpower the tacos.
  3. Let the tortilla cook on the first side for about a minute until it starts to firm up. There won’t be air bubbles like when you’re cooking a pancake. Loosen the sides with a spatula then slide it under and flip the tortilla over. If you can’t get your spatula under, try cooking it just a little longer. Cook on the second side for 30 seconds, then remove and set aside on a plate. Continue cooking the remaining batter, spraying the pan in between.

Recipe is from: http://www.againstallgrain.com/2012/05/03/
paleo-fish-tacos/

Strawberry Shortcakes 
16 ounces fresh strawberries
1-2 teaspoon honey (optional)
2 cups blanched almond flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons cold grass-fed butter or coconut oil
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions

  1. Wash, hull, and slice the strawberries as small as you desire.
  2. Mix in a bowl together with honey, if desired, to somewhat macerate the strawberries.
  3. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
  4. Line a sheet pan with some parchment paper.
  5. In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. Using a fork or knife, cut the butter into the almond flour to form and mix, so that you’ve formed some small beads of the butter in the dough.
  6. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey, and vanilla. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry.
  7. Using a spoon or measuring cup, drop the dough onto the sheet pan into 8 evenly sized cakes, leaving room in between each cake.
  8. Bake for 15–20 minutes until golden brown.
  9. Allow cakes to cool, then slice horizontally, and spoon some of the strawberry mixture into the middle, and some extra on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment