Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Happy Anniversary Dinner - sweet potatoes with coconut, pomegranate, and lime


Husband surprised me with roses & my favorite coffee while I was in the middle of cooking
For our anniversary this year, I decided I wanted to make a special dinner for the two of us. We have been gone so much lately that I really wanted to stay home and have a home cooked meal. I knew it would be difficult to do this as I had to work that morning and also was trying to get things ready for Jaedyn & I for our big trip. Dave & I had decided to get meat from Dons meat & with that he wanted to grill asparagus. That meant all I needed was another side and dessert - I could handle that! I thought sweet potatoes sounded good, but didn't want to just bake them. I wanted something a little more fancy and that required some work from me. So the blog hunt began & thankfully I only searched two blogs before I stumbled upon this gem :) not only did it look easy, it sounded delicious too! I decided to make my life easier by throwing the sweet potatoes in the crock pot early that morning before work, so they would be all nice & soft when I got home from work. Then all I would have to do is pull the skins off, stir in the coconut milk, toasted coconut, and pomegranates & it would be done. I like those kind of dishes. This would give me plenty of time to make my dessert, clean the house, and get laundry done. Yay! It was setting up to be a great anniversary dinner. 
Like I suspected, the potatoes were done & in no time flat I was able to get it assembled. I was also able to get everything on my list done. Only thing I ran out of time for, was a shower. Oh well... At least I wasn't stinky ;) 
The potatoes turned out Ah-Mazing! I think the little bit of lime you squeeze over after you serve them, totally puts the flavor over the top. Well that & the cilantro. I hope you try this dish the next time you want a sweet potato side dish :)
Sweet Potatoes with Pomegranate, Coconut, and Lime

Ingredients

  • 3 medium sweet potatoes
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened full fat canned coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
  • 1 pomegranate, seeded
  • sea salt (optional)
  • 2 Tbs cilantro, chopped
  • 1 lime, cut into wedges

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
  2. Cut off ends of sweet potatoes. Using a heavy fork, prick 20 times around the surface of each potato.
  3. Arrange on a rimmed baking sheet and roast until tender (about 45 minutes). - OR throw them in a crock pot, pierced, and wrapped in foil on low for 4-6 hours. 
  4. Let cool slightly, then mash sweet potatoes with a fork. 
  5. Stir in coconut milk, coconut flakes and pomegranate seeds. Season with sea salt if desired.
  6. Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
Recipe is from: http://www.paleoplan.com/2011/01-25/
sweet-potatoes-with-coconut-pomegranate-and-lime/

Our other side dish of grilled asparagus. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment