Thursday, August 8, 2013

Baked chimichangas

I know this is a food blog but I had to show off that my 8month old is floating on her own.  
Today we finally were able to coordinate her last swim lesson. Her first ones were over a month ago, but we have been so busy, we haven't been able to fit in her very last one. I wasn't sure how'd she do since it had been so long, but she didn't miss a beat and actually did it all on her own today. Such a proud mom moment :)
Anyway... When we got home from swim lessons I wanted to get two more freezer meals made for Dave. One of his favorite dishes is my baked chimichangas that I got from my mom. When I switched over to clean eating this January, I thought I'd never be able to make this dish again as it has refried  beans in it & uses tortillas. But then I discovered one day at good earth they had refried beans that only had three ingredients!!! Then I discovered tortillas in the freezer section that had no GMO's or anything on the ingredient list you didn't understand. Yahoo!! I could make this yummy, simple dish again. Unfortunately for me, beans and I don't agree, BUT they don't bother the hubby at all; thus it seemed like the perfect dish to make for the freezer. Honestly this dish doesn't take long & only requires a few ingredients, which besides the beans, you probably have them all on hand. 

Baked Chimichangas 
1lbs ground beef, chicken, turkey, or pork (I used beef) 
1 medium sized onion, diced
1 C organic, no sugar added salsa (I like Costco's Kirkland brand)
1 4oz can diced green chilies
1 can natural refried beans 
1/2 C full fat, grass fed cheddar cheese
8 tortillas - I used 2 brown rice tortillas, and 6 sprouted wheat ones 


Preheat oven to 375 & grease an 9x13 pan and set aside. Put a little oil in the pan & once hot, add onion. Once it becomes translucent, add beef. Cook until meat is no longer pink & is fully cooked through. After meat is done add your salsa, beans, and green chilies. Mix together until the beans are fully heated through. Add cheese & stir until it is all melted.  Remove from heat. 
Place about 1/4C of your mixture at one end of your tortilla & then fold in both sides and roll. Place seam side down in your pre greased pan. Then repeat until all the meat mixture is gone. It's about 8, but that all depends on the size of your tortillas & how much meat you place in each one.  Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until slightly browned on top. 

Recipe is from Momma Hoovers kitchen  

No comments:

Post a Comment