Thursday, August 8, 2013

Peach Chipotle Roast Chicken with zucchini squash sauté


Once I got Dave's chimichangas in the oven, it was time to get started on our dinner. I had already done the chipotle peach purée the day before and knew all I had to do was bake it so I needed a side dish to go with. I decided to look through the fridge first to see if I needed to use up anything before I left. Low and behold we had some zucchini and squash - 2 of each to be exact. I thought about doing my usual sauté with Italian seasoning & a little balsamic, but I always do that - I wanted something new. Somehow I stumbled upon this recipe & thought it looked good. The best part about it was it was easy & I had all the ingredients. Worst part - I had to cut the squash into match sticks & I'm not so good at that. Oh well, the only way you get better is to keep practicing... Right? Basically once you get the squash cut, you just toss everything into the sauté pan and the viola - it's done. The dish turned out to be pretty tasty, although I still prefer them the other way I cook them, just fun to try something different. 
The chicken was also just ok. It wasn't bad and was super flavorful & tender, it just wasn't amazing in my opinion, but its super easy and I think you should try it 😃 i do think next time I'd grill it over bake it to see if that changed things. Plus I still need to find dried chipotle chilies. All I can find is dried peppers. So that and also using chicken thighs might make a difference. 
Peach Chipotle Roast Chicken 
Ingredients
  • 3 Ripe Peaches, cut up into chunks
  • ½ c Water
  • ½ c Dried Chipotle Chilis
  • 2 t Salt
  • 2 T Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 2 lbs Chicken Thighs (or Legs, or Breasts, or even a Whole Damn Bird)

Instructions
  1. Toss the peaches, water, chilis, salt, and vinegar in a blender.
  2. Pulse until well blended.
  3. Toss your chicken into a bowl and pour all of the marinade over it. Cover and refrigerate for 6-8 hours.
  4. Arrange the chicken in a baking dish and cover with the marinade.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.

Zucchini-Squash Sauté 

Ingredients

  • 1 Tbs coconut oil
  • 1/2  yellow onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 (6"-8") zucchini, cut into 3" x 1/4" matchsticks
  • 2 (6"-8") yellow summer squash, cut into 3" x 1/4" matchsticks
  • 1 (6oz) tomato sauce

Instructions

  1. In large skillet, heat coconut oil over medium-high heat.  When hot, add onion and cook 3-4 minutes until onion is tender and translucent.
  2. Add zucchini, summer squash and garlic, and cook until almost tender (5-6 minutes).
  3. Stir in tomato sauce and cook until heated through.


No comments:

Post a Comment